A primer for my friends who kinda really want to quit Twitter but don’t know how.
- Create an account on Mastodon:
I recommend: here or here.
These are the two servers I use, but it doesn’t matter which Mastodon you make an account on, you can still talk to everyone else.
- Say hello!
Write a little about yourself and use the #introductions tag.
- Enjoy the :pineapple:!
🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍 🍍
(HAHA this is a funny Mastodon joke!)
Don’t forget to find me and say hi!
I’m @firstname.lastname@example.org and you can just copy and paste that straight into your message.
- If you need help, you can ask on the #NeedHelp hashtag. You will get so much help. All the help.
- The icon that looks like people above your post box is your local timeline; when you click it’ll show you all the people posting on your instance. The globe shows everyone on your instance and all their friends.
- If you want an app for your phone or tablet, I love Mastalab on Android. (You iPhone users are on your own. You could try asking around on Mastodon. ;)
- Connect your accounts to Mastodon Bridge to help find people you know from Twitter (and help them find you).
- Join Mastodon
a little more about Mastodon
The coder who built Mastodon is 24, fiercely independent, and doesn’t care about money
Delete all the Social Media Apps from your Phone Right Now.
- The Guardian:
‘Our minds can be hijacked’: the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia
Google, Twitter and Facebook workers who helped make technology so addictive are disconnecting themselves from the internet.